Monday, December 2, 2013


 
Time Traveler Seeks Time Share In Angel Fire, New Mexico

 

I stood on a moss-covered rock and studied icicles on twigs and branches hung low over the roar of a waterfall in the highlands of Pennsylvania.  This is Planet Earth in the year 1013. The cascade of waters on craggy cliffs refreshed my spirit as the sun silently exploded in shades of autumn gold over a breathtaking vast countryside.

 

I’ve been around, sang The Man In Black. Wait a second. I just realized the typo.

 

It’s actually 2013, November 29.

 

My big brother took me with him to attend a seminar on the joys of time-shares.

 

“My name is Aidan,” said a cherub-faced kid with a baseball hat after I asked who had made the pyramid of Styrofoam cups on the counter (where I amazed him by mixing a package of chocolate into my coffee.) I met him and his parents in a stately house a sales representative named Joe showed Julio, my brother, a US Army veteran. Press the button at the end of the hall and you’ll see The Bat Cave, I said to watch Aidan’s eyes widen much to everyone’s amusement. He went like Lara Croft for the secret passage.

 

Children will believe anything until they begin to question the universe.

 

Back at the seminar in the midst of the mysterious woods, I sipped my hot beverage while the kid talked non-stop about the Greek gods, Star Trek: The Next Generation and a time traveler called Doctor Who. I pointed out that the metal coffee makers looked like The Time Lord’s enemy, The Dareks, cyborgs out to…”Exterminate!” said Aidan with a smile that went beyond the borders of his face.

 

 Then I saw the only African-American invited to participate in time-sharing. “My name is Brian,” he said with a firm handshake. He had watched Aidan bend my ear instead of an episode of The Bill Cosby Show, a TV series about a doctor and his family.

 

The 1980s played on the plasma flat screen just a few feet away from a holographic fireplace in the spacious lounge. Brian burst out laughing, as did the chatty kid when I took out my shades from my motorcycle jacket and said I’ll be back. 

 

As evening revealed fiery lights traveling for centuries from other galaxies, I stood on the rock and saw creativity that will never dry up. I saw what I was like when I was a boy.

 

Thank you, Aidan, for believing nothing is impossible.  I needed to hear that.

 

Now let us find answers to Earth’s difficult problems shall we?

 

The Doctor is in.

 

Wink




 

 

Copyrighted By Daniel Angel Aponte 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment